The Pastor of Westbourne, Reverend John B. Cunningham and many members of the congregation decided to plant a new church on the North Side of Calgary using the Southern Baptist program. There was a vacant lot located at 240 Cardiff Drive N.W. that was designated by the City of Calgary to be used as a church. The interested members decided to hold a Vacation Bible School the summer of 1958 at the location to see if the neighborhood was viable. A large tent was rented and the children came. Because of the success that first summer, another VBS was held in 1959 while plans were made to build a church on the lot.
Until the church could be built, the members met in the Westmont Pleasant Community Hall, holding both morning and evening services each Sunday. Finally, the ground was broken and the building could begin in the Spring of 1960. Plans from the Texas branch of the Southern Baptist Convention were approved by both the City and the members of the church. The first phase of the building was completed in time for the Christmas program that year. Because the neighborhood was new and young, there often were more than 100 people attending Sunday School and church. Sometimes the overflow was so great that some classes had to meet in the nearby school and one member’s house.
In 1975 there was another expansion of the building when a new upstairs kitchen, new bathrooms, and more classrooms were added. Joyce Construction was contracted but much of the interior work and painting was done by members of the congregation. This expansion was completed in early 1977.
At the time, Pastor Cunningham received permission from the congregation to spend some time teaching each week at the newly started Canadian Baptist Theological College which was meeting in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. Later the College (renamed Seminary) was moved to property outside Cochrane, Alberta where the Canadian National Baptist Convention is now located.
When Pastor Cunningham retired the church called Dr. Glen Allen to serve as pastor. He later moved back to the United States and Pastor Lewis Markwood was called to serve in 1985.
Pastor Dewayne Bartley came in 2003 and had the vision to once again launch a very ambitious building program. Because of health problems he had had to resign before the renovations and building plans were completed. The members of the church then called Pastor Roy Spannagel out of retirement to come to Cambrian. Under his leadership, the renovations have been completed, the church parking lot raised and paved and landscaping of the property enhanced. In 2015, Matt Burks came to be an assistant pastor to work with youth and college age students.
During its years, Cambrian Heights Baptist Church had been a meeting place for many ethnic groups. It has welcomed Chinese, Arabic, and Filipino congregations which have grown over the years to become self-supporting and viable groups. At one time even a deaf congregation shared space with the church.
Cambrian Heights Baptist Church is still at work to be pleasing to God and carrying out His Great Commission and helping others to be pleasing to God.